space/tab conversion utility?

Catalin Marinas catalin.marinas at arm.com
Thu Jul 29 05:43:56 EDT 2004

Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> writes:
> So that I can submit patches to a Python application whos
> devloper uses tabs.  My Python editor uses spaces.

You have different options to the diff command for this:

  -E  --ignore-tab-expansion  Ignore changes due to tab expansion.
  -b  --ignore-space-change  Ignore changes in the amount of white space.
  -w  --ignore-all-space  Ignore all white space.
  -B  --ignore-blank-lines  Ignore changes whose lines are all blank.

Otherwise, a simple sed script might do it (convert 4 spaces to one
tab for example):

  sed -e "s/    /\t/g/"

Catalin