numarray and SMP

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 15:18:59 EDT 2004

Christopher T King wrote:

> In a quest to speed up numarray computations, I tried writing a 'threaded
> array' class for use on SMP systems that would distribute its workload
> across the processors. I hit a snag when I found out that since the Python
> interpreter is not reentrant, this effectively disables parallel
> processing in Python. I've come up with two solutions to this problem,
> both involving numarray's C functions that perform the actual vector
> operations:

[...]

I suggest you repost this to the numpy list as well.  Not only are the
developers there, but this issue interests many of us, so you'd get an eager
audience and more discussion.  Not that I don't think c.l.py is a good forum,
quite the contrary: many threading experts live here and not in numpy.  I
meant posting to both places, since the combined expertise of 'generic
threading' experts from c.l.py and numeric/numarray users/developers will
likely be a good thing.

Best,