Typed Python?

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Tue Jul 6 14:03:28 EDT 2004

    Jacek> logic ... but given that your logic appears to lead you to
    Jacek> conclude that structure "quality" is somehow directly
    Jacek> related to string length[*],

..

    Jacek> [*] As opposed to, for example, simplicity of
    Jacek> transformation to parse tree.

I suppose a teacher of high school kids should be more concerned with
the intuitiveness of the construct than the simplicity of
transformation to parse tree.

Seeing "(set! x 10)", many would probably think "yeah, it's a special
form that binds 'x to 10, I get the idea, now got off my face, I have
work to do". You only need to learn once what "x=10" does, after that
it just happens; you don't need to spell it out to the machine.

Of course the scheme syntax also conveys that "mutating a variable is
a bad idea, please reconsider". While someone might appreciate the
constant nagging by the language targeted at your programming style,
most programmers probably don't. For academics (possibly with no code
to write in the first place), this is a minor issue.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb