Accessing Oracle from Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jul 16 12:10:14 EDT 2004

Dan Ellis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been down so many dead ends trying to get something working, so
> I'm really hoping someone can help out.
>
> I need to access an Oracle database running on a Windows server from
> Python running on Linux. I've tried building DCOracle2, but it seems
> that the 'oracle-installclient-basic' thing I downloaded from the
> Oracle site doesn't contain enough. I've tried various other
> approaches, such as mxODBC/iODBC, but without much luck. I'm hoping to
> not have to resort to a Windows solution.
>
> Can someone help me figure out what combination of Python module,
> Oracle download and/or ODBC driver will work?

The EasySoft Oracle drivers works nicely with mxODBC/unixODBC.
Other vendors of ODBC drivers for Oracle are: DataDirect,
OpenLink and a few others:

	http://www.sqlsummit.com/ODBCVend.htm

There's also an open-soruce Oracle ODBC driver:

	http://fndapl.fnal.gov/~dbox/oracle/odbc/

Naturally, the EasySoft driver works best with unixODBC and
the OpenLink one with iODBC (simply because those two companies
took over development of these ODBC managers).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 16 2004)