Use of select.h on Mac OS X

Stephen Roderick snrkiwi-lists at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 7 15:01:51 EDT 2004

Has anyone else had any trouble with the use of sys/select.h file on
Mac OS X? I can't find anything on the web about it, but the pyport.h
file that comes with the v2.3 Python framework includes "sys/select.h",
which appears to be broken in Mac OS X 10.3.4. You get a whole bunch of
compilation errors from one of the libkern header files. Replacing that
one include with the following fixes the compilation errors.

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <unistd.h>

This cropped up when using SWIG to generate C extensions, though I
don't think SWIG is the cause.

Any advice, suggestions? Is this a Python or Apple problem?

TIA