Porting Java web application to Python to make it faster?

Wolfgang Keller wolfgang.keller.nospam at gmx.de
Wed Jul 14 14:13:43 EDT 2004

Am 8 Jul 2004 05:48:16 -0700 schrieb Rick Lawson:

> Sounds like the problem is the
> design decision to emulate a rich desktop app as a web based app.

Unfortunately >;-> this was more or less the whole point of the project
right from the start. This is a _research_ project, partially publicly
funded, so the industrial application partner is not in the situation of a
paying customer. And the project was more about proving a point (that the
above mentioned architecture is possible, together with web-services
everywhere) than about solving actual real-world problems the most
efficient way. So the developers, who come from a university/research
institute background, are not necessarily as concerned about certain issues
as the application partner (which I happen to work for). And we are not in
the position to tell them how we want them to do certain things.

> Since this is an internal app you may want to suggest a desktop client
> (either  Java or Python based) communicating via Soap or xmlrpc.

Given the answers I got here, maybe we'll end up paying someone for
re-implementing the desktop client (as a Qt application?) and keeping the
"Web Portal" interface mainly for PDAs.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Keller