Database adapters

Gerhard Häring gh at ghaering.de
Tue Jul 13 15:19:51 EDT 2004

Frank Miles wrote:
> Gerhard Häring  <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:
>
>>Ed Leafe wrote:
>>
>>>    I'm using Python for my database work, and need to be able to
>>>connect to various servers, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, and
>>>others. There are a number of adapters available for each of these, but
>>>I run into the same problem with all: I need to have that database
>>>server installed on the machine for which I need to build the adapter.
>>>Since my development work is done on a workstation and not a server,
>>>this causes a problem. [...]
>>
>>That's not true. You have to have the include files and libraries installed.
>>
>>>    How do I accomplish this? How can I build, say, psycopg so that I
>>>can connect from my dev machine to a server that's on another host
>>>somewhere on the internet?
>>
>>You'll need the PostgreSQL development files (on Debian: pgsql-devel)
>>installed.
>
> AFAICT this is not true.  For example, I have some Windows machines without
> any postgresql content at all, [...]

I thought we were talking about build requirements, not runtime
requirements. The runtime requirements are the client libraries only. If
the Python DB adapter is statically linked (like I do with the pyPgSQL
win32 binaries, for example) you might even not need anything apart from
the Python DB adapter.

-- Gerhard