Python indentation

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Wed Jul 7 07:59:34 EDT 2004

Sateesh wrote:
> I surely understand the importance of indentation, but as you see there are
> beautification tools that can be used to beautiy the C code.

I'm not sure why this is relevant.

> Also indentation is based upon ones style of coding, and I feel somewhat
> restricted when the language itself restricts someone to code in a
> particular way.

Which is why I asked you to name a desirable code construction that
Python denies you due to it's indentation rules. If, for example, you
find the following style compelling:

     if condition:
clause1
     else:
clause2

Then Python is, indeed, restricting you. So could you provide an actual
example where Python is keeping you from using a style that you find
desirable?

Cheers,
Brian