Bogus locales on Mac

Ellen Herzfeld xlii at xlii.supprimer.org
Thu Jul 15 12:57:25 EDT 2004

In article <m33c3tr02d.fsf at pc150.maths.bris.ac.uk>, Michael Hudson
<mwh at python.net> wrote:

> I suspect using some other method than the C libraries locale
> functions is necessary... something like CFStringCompare?  Dunno if
> Python wraps that, though.  Or maybe use PyObjC and NSSting's
> -compare:options:range:locale: method.

I suppose there must be some way around the problem using Mac specific
code, but I need my scripts to be portable with minimum hassle. They
may have to run on a Linux or FreeBSD server...

I would like confirmation that I'm not missing something. Why would
Apple not use the standard C files for locales?

Ellen