IDE

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Jul 14 10:19:58 EDT 2004

Thomas Lindgaard wrote:

>Hello
>
>I am probably going to start a war now... but so be it :)

Mmm editor wars.

>I just want to hear what all you guys who eat pythons for breakfast use
>for python coding. Currently I use Kate, but I would really like an IDE
>with debugger and a source browser (ie. one the I can use to browse
>through modules etc. when looking for just the right curses stuff and such
>- I am a newcomer to Python).

For Win32, PythonWin (though it doesn't have what I think you're
thinking of as a "source browser").  For Linux, Eric3 (make sure to get
the latest release, Gentoo, at least, has an old one as "stable"), which
is probably what you want (since you mention the KDE editor Kate).
SciTe is also popular, but it's a bare-bones editor, while Eric is an
all-singing-all-dancing IDE.  Finally, though I've not tried it, Eclipse
apparently has some Python plugins somewhere.

Have fun,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder