[wxPython] Smileys in my text ctrl

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Jul 22 14:05:17 EDT 2004

Madhan wrote:

>All:
>I am developing a chat client in python. I want to include smileys in
>my instant messages. Which component support this? I used wxTextCtrl
>for both input and output.

If you want something more powerful and flexible than a wxTextCtrl, try
looking at the wxStyledTextCtrl, which is a wxWidgets wrapper around the
Scintilla control.  This is the same component that, for example, the
SciTe programmer's editor and the PythonWin IDE use.  I've never needed
to use it, myself, but I expect that it should be able to do just about
anything you might want.  (The only reservation I'd have about it is
that it's possible that it's a bit more heavyweight than you'd want;
it's hard to judge that without taking a close look, though.)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International