Why would I learn Python over other languages?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Fri Jul 9 08:30:25 EDT 2004

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:47:54 -0700, Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net>
wrote:

>Arthur wrote:

>> I don't think that is true of Python. I think there is a layer of
>> Python that one cannot reasonably penetrate without stepping outside
>> of Python.
>>
>> One can get started with Python, with Python.
>>
>> But in the end  I don't think Python serves as a fully adequate
>> introduction to itself.
>
>In one sense I think that any language is a sufficient introduction to
>itself. Given enough time and effort you learn every trick, see every
>corner exposed by someone (perhaps someone with a different background
>than you) and learn everything there is to possibly know.

Part of the problem here is language, in the words sense of language.

If Python were an early and dominant programming language, the
language used to speak about Python would have evolved differently.
Much of the discussion about Python is in words that don't seem native
to it. So it becomes near impossible to follow discussions about
Python, with only Python background.

And I think more generally, the issue is that one cannot fully
understand a tool like Python without understanding what problem it is
solving.

It is, it seems to me, solving the problem of programming in a lower
level language.  From which its language is drawn.

Art