reading file contents to an array (newbie)

Wed Jul 7 18:59:56 EDT 2004

John Lenton wrote:

> PS: use mmap! it's not the '70s any more!

This is hilarious.  I first learned about and used memory-mapped I/O in
the 70s on Tenex systems.  One of our SAIL compiler's great accesses to
speed was that it secretly did all file I/O with memory mapped files.
The system call, or "JSYS" more precisely, was named MMAP.  I think the
odds are at least even that MMAP was _invented_ in the 70s.

--
-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org