Rationale for core Python numeric types

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Fri Jul 16 11:06:41 EDT 2004

    Matt> project with Python, involving 3D rendering and databasing,
    Matt> but I have some concern that the large amounts of binary
    Matt> data that will be tossed around imply that I'll end up
    Matt> implementing everything but a little glue in C. I don't
    Matt> want, in particular, to find that the language is evolving
    Matt> away from what I would consider to be a useful state.

What do you think will be the problems? Python handles raw binary data
just fine, you might want to look at 'array' module for an
example. Also check out 'numarray', which is not in standard library
but should give you the idea.

    Matt> My question is where Python is headed. I'm wary of purists
    Matt> telling me what I need and don't need. There's a lot of

Quite often people seem to think they need something that they
actually don't, only realizing that once they give the issue some more
thought.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb