what does 'for _ in range()' mean?

Matteo Dell'Amico della at toglimi.linux.it
Wed Jul 28 05:21:39 EDT 2004

Roy Smith wrote:

> I've never heard of that convention before.  Is it some python-specific
> thing, or is my ignorance more global in scope?

I have seen it in logic and functional programming, where '_' -
differently from python - has a special meaning: assignments to '_' are
discarded in functional programming and

I guess that it's value in the interpreter, instead, comes from perl's $_.

> In any case, I'd vote for some more useful variable name.  In the above
> case, something like connectionNumber or whatever would be more
> self-explanitory.

In that case, I interpret is as this: that loop has to be iterated 20
times, and the looping variable is uninfluent. In this cases, again by
convention, in C programs the variable is often called "i".

--
Ciao,
Matteo