Python indentation

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Wed Jul 7 21:00:41 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 07 July 2004 01:28 pm, bruno modulix wrote:
> Jacek Generowicz a écrit :
> > "Sateesh" <ext-sateesh.kavuri at nokia.com> writes:
> >>Hi,
> >>I am a beginner in Python, and am wondering what is it about the
> >> indentation in Python, without which python scripts do not work
> >> properly.
> >>Why can't the indentation not so strict so as to give better freedom to
> >> the user?
> >>Is there any plausible reason behind this?

It's this way because we (the Python community) feel VERY strongly
that this is the correct way to do it.

In any program in any language, one must maintain correct indentation
to make the program structure human-readable.  (If you don't, you
should be fired immediately because no one, yourself included, will
ever be able to read your code.)  Given that, why should any language
force us to maintain a second compiler readable method ("{" and "}" or
whatever) for specifying the program structure.

Having only one method of specifying program structure (and one which
is readable by both human and the compiler) makes sense.  Indeed, many
of us have gotten to the point of believing that all those other
languages are simply WRONG and only Python has it CORRECT.

May you enjoy Python enough to get to the same level of understanding,
Gary Herron