List Comprehension Syntax

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Mon Jul 12 12:53:55 EDT 2004

    Danny> I'd like to point out that list comprehensions were
    Danny> invented by people who you'd probably put in that genre of
    Danny> academics, namely the creators

Of course, and lots of other stuff too. Academics have great ideas,
and bad ideas. The stuff that flies is adopted in the industry, stuff
that doesn't is not. I'm by no means dismissing all academic research
on software as worthless (quite on the contrary) - especially when
it's research of new stuff. MIT and UCB have given us some great
things.

    Danny> comprehensions do.  I really hate it when people say that
    Danny> academics are making programming languages that are really
    Danny> hard to read; it reflects on the speaker's stupidity more
    Danny> than anything else.

Indeed. 80% of software engineers should be suffocated silently in the
night, resulting in a master race of programmers (after 3-4
generations of breeding) that could reimplement all the software in
existence today with purely recursive algorithms. I bet the software
available then would rock.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb