Importance of C# (was Re: IronPython-0.6 is now available!)

John johng2001 at rediffmail.com
Fri Jul 30 02:17:45 EDT 2004

"Neal D. Becker" <ndbecker2 at verizon.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.921.1091114694.5135.python-list at python.org>...
> After reading a tutorial on c#, I see immediately that it has all the
> features that I disliked in Java.
>
> 1) Everything is derived from "Object"
> 2) Some things have value semantics, some have reference
> 3) No multiple inheritance
>
> I'm not sure about 2 others:
>
> 4) No serious generic programming support
> 5) Only OO supported:
>
> (This is HelloWorld is C#.  Is this actually different than HelloWorld in
> java???)
>
> using System;
> public class HelloWorld
> {
>     public static void Main()
>
>     {
>         // This is a single line comment
>
>         Console.WriteLine("Hello World! From Softsteel Solutions");
>     }
> }

When I saw .NET, I immediatly saw that it addressed the issues that
bothered me most in Java.

1.) No classpath issues.
2.) Built for productivity. Java has almost no helper classes. These
are things that don't REQUIRE to be there but are there for
convenience. Check the recent talk by Bruce Eckel
(http://video.haas.berkeley.edu:24874/ramgen/media-services/Eckel6-25-04.rm).
I don't think any of his criticism applies for C#.
3.) A sensible, easy to use GUI library (even if it isn't very
portable).
4.) IO doesn't require me look up the manuals each time to figure out
which 3 or so classes I need this time.
5.) Excellent performance (Not just on paper).
6.) Easy deployment.
7.) Absolutely the best web development framework (OK! I may be
getting a bit religious here but I love the component and event driven
model. JFaces as I looked at it was not very mature).
8.) Community that does think that it has to use every single design
pattern in every single library.
9.) An IDE that actually feels simple.
10.) DESIGNED for multiple languages (I admit I rediculed this till
recently saying that all languages needed needed to be like C# to be
supported and it was no better than Java in this. But with IronPython
and F#, it looks a bit promising. But I need them to be integrated
into Visual Studio for me to love them.)
11.) Distributed computing for mere mortals. EJB maybe better designed
than COM+ and more portable. But something must be wrong about it's
design that it scares me away each time.
12.) I hate MVC (OK! It is not Java's fault that every Java programmer
wants it).

I am actually looking forward to IronPython a lot. Has anyone figured
out how to build a .NET assembly out of it? I just looked at it for a
few minutes. I couldn't get UtilLibraryBuilder to work. Maybe it was
just me.