Win32 extensions no go on Win 95

Hans-Joachim Widmaier hjwidmaier at web.de
Fri Jul 9 02:01:22 EDT 2004

Tim Golden <tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk> wrote in message news:<mailman.101.1089282199.5135.python-list at python.org>...

> 1) I believe the core Python stuff should install on any Win9x.

Yes, core Python runs well.

> 2) I seem to remebmerthat Mark Hammond (author of pywin32) stated a little
>    while back that he could no longer sustain compatibility
>    for Win95.

This is news to me. Bad news.

>    Should be possible to install / build older pywin32
>    versions from Mark's Python homepage:
>    http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html

That would be my last-straw option: Use an old version of
Python/win32all and backport my program. Not something I'm very fond
of.
Right now I'm trying to compile pywin32-202 myself, leaving out all
the stuff Win95 doesn't know of. This proves to be a thoroughly
frustrating experience however, since I don't know anything about
Windows programming. (I wrote a few DOS command line tools, and even
these I cross-compiled on a Linux machine.)

Yesterday I also tried ActivePython, with the exact same results. No
good week for me.

Hans-Joachim Widmaier