[Zope] ZClass/External File or What?

mir nazim mir4uu at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 09:17:03 EDT 2004

Hi,
I am a PHP deleloper. i am currently studying Zope and want to migrate
to it. I have developped a school management system in PHP. but now I
want to implement it in Zope. I have worked through The Zope Book 2.6
quickly. My problem is that I am confused where to start.

I am giving a brief account of what I want to do.

I have Identified Following class stuucture.

class Person(Persistent):
    # inherits from Persistence.Persistent. to be stored in ZODB
    # Data Mambers:
        self.firstName
        self.midName
        self.lastName
        self.sex
        self.dob
        # And other data members like address, city, phone etc.

    # Methods:
        getFistName(self)
        getMidName(self)
        getLastName(self)
        getSex(self)
        getDob(self)
        setFistName(self)
        setMidName(self)
        setLastName(self)
        setSex(self)
        setDob(self)

class Student(Person):
    # inherits from Person.
    # Data Members specific to students like;
        # Fee Status, class, course etc.

    # Data Members:
        # method for accessing and modifying attribute of student

    System is supposed to admit students and assign unique ids to
them. student object will be stored in ZODB. searchning on id, first,
mid and last names and possibly on other attributes like sex, date of
birth etc has to be provided. system is to be used by end users and
not zope administrators.

    Now the problem is that I am confused how to implement these
classes. Should I implement them as ZClass or in External Files etc.
Please Clarify. if p[ossible please recomend improvements on design
also.

    Actually it is a small part of overall system which provides
transport management, class/course management, exam/result management,
employees payrolls and basic accounting for high schools. but to start
with it should be enough to help me get a better feel of zope.

Thanks...

Mir Nazim.