binary alternative to pickle?

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Tue Jul 27 18:00:16 EDT 2004

I am analysing medium sized datasets with Python. At the moment, I am
processing the ASCII files into Python objects every time I run the
script, because it takes about the same time as unpickling the same data.

I think I must have overlooked some utility. In Matlab, you can save
some or all existing variables into a binary file, which loads very
quickly. Is it possible to do the same with Python? Ive looked at
cPickle, which is really slow, and marshal claims that my objects are
unmarshable. Are there other alternatives to save work in progress?

Thanks,
Darren