does not work on freeBSD but works on linux, and windows

John fabiani jfabiani at yolo.com
Thu Jul 1 12:37:48 EDT 2004

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Donn Cave <donn at drizzle.com> wrote:
>  > Quoth Oliver Fromme <olli at haluter.fromme.com>:
>  > | [...]
>  > | I suggest you upgrade that machine.  I'm sure the problem
>  > | won't persist.
>  >
>  > Wow, I'm surprised to hear that.  I will have to go back
>  > and read the problem again, but it sounds like a very
>  > ordinary application in terms of operating system support.
>  > Not something that would expose a bug in FreeBSD 4.4.
>  > What makes you think it's an OS bug?
>
> By saying "upgrade" I meant both the OS and Python.
> From his description, it seemed to be some kind of data
> corruption, which could very well be an OS issue or a
> Python issue (in libftp, for example).  His application
> code seemed to be correct, as far as I can tell.
>
> That's all speculation of course, but even if the problem
> persists with an up-to-date OS and Python, the update was
> certainly not useless.
>
> Best regards
>    Oliver

I can't really update the OS because the main app on the server is using
SCO foxpro 2.6.  This means that the OS is using the special lib's
reqired for SCO (xenix,unix libs) to run foxpro 2.6.

Anyway I know very little about FreeBSD.  In fact I'll have to learn how
to upgrade Python 2.1 to Python 2.3.  Of course this assumes that
problem has something to do with Python and not the under lying SO.  BTW
FTP works without any issues - at least manually.  Also the code I
provided is what is realy run on the computer.

Question can I just update the ftplib module?  I'm thinking that might
be easier than attempt to update all of it to 2.3.

John