How do I speedup this loop?

Steve nospam at nopes
Thu Jul 15 19:57:54 EDT 2004

Jean Brouwers wrote:
> What about handling all output as one string?
>
>     script = os.popen('some command')
>     script = script.replace("'", "\\'")  # replace ' with \'
>     script = script.replace("\r", ")  # remove cr
>     script = script.replace("\\n", "$___n")  # replace \n
>     script = script.replace("\n", "@___n'")  # replace nl

This won't do any better than what I was already doing. I need the code
to be very fast and this will only end up creating a lot of copies
everytime the string is going to be modified (strings are immutable). I
really like the idea of using regex for this (proposed by lonnie), but I
still need to a hang of it.

Cheers,
Steve

Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
--  See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm  ----