Visual Studio not installed

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Jul 13 18:11:15 EDT 2004

Nick Smallbone wrote:

>"Darren Dale" <dd55 at cornell.edu> wrote...
>

>>I wonder if the windows version could be compiled with a free
>>C-compiler?
>>

>Should be - MinGW or Cygwin should work. I've compiled it with Watcom before
>(http://www.openwatcom.org). And you can get the compiler of Visual C++
>without the IDE - http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/.

But keep in mind that both the interpreter and all C extensions need to
be compiled with the same compiler.  Most people who write extensions
plan for them to be used with Visual Studio 6, since that's what the
python.org distribution uses.  If you use some other compiler, then
you'll have to recompile every extension you install, and you may need
to tweak things to get it to work.  It's probably easier, in the long
run, to download and figure out MS's free command-line version of VC++
(or to talk someone who already has it into compiling the extension in
question for you)...

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International