Python .ico

Adelein and Jeremy adeleinandjeremy at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 20:11:20 EDT 2004

> From: bitshadow at yahoo.com (Michael Scarlett)
> To: python-list at python.org
> Date: 21 Jul 2004 13:30:19 -0700
> Subject: Python .ico
>
> I was just thinking that we should get a new icon for Python. Its
> such
> an amzing effective language, and I know it sounds silly, but I
> can't
> help but think that one of the reasons it hasn't surpassed JAVA or
> at
> least taken more seriouly than it is now - is because of the dorky
> looking .py icon.
> We need a icon that reflects python. Robust, flexible and
> Effective.
> Something that says "we get the job done right and the code is
> tight".
> Eat that!!
>

> Anybody else think GVR and the PSF should put that in the next
> release? I know it sounds silly. but I'm kinda tired of Python
> being
> taken too lightly. Python rules. applications like ZOPE, Mailman
> and
> BitTorrent are proving that. Let's step it up a notch any how we
> can.
>
> ---BitShadow

Wasn't someone just two months ago suggesting that we drop the
reference to Monty Python in favor a more "serious"
mascot/inspiration? What does any of this really mean anyway? Who
cares? If you want a different icon, make one in an icon editor. If
you think it's cool, send it to python.org. If the language
maintainers think it's worthwhile when they look at it in between
writing prototypes for PEPs and releasing bugfixes and doing other,
*useful* things, then they may just add it to the site and offer it
to others.

But why they should be told that their image is lacking when they are
busting their humps is beyond me. And what good will an icon do in
the next release? If you know it's a serious language, you download
Python - and if you download Python you (hypothetically) get the new
icon. How did that attract new users away from Java? You had to
download Python first. And even so, are you suggesting that an icon
on a GUI menu (which I, for one, do not have) will be the mark of a
serious program? I think what Python needs in order to win over those
Java drones (and only in certain circumstances, of course - since the
languages are not meant for exactly the same problem domains) is some
users who voice their opinions to educational institutions. In the
80s Pascal was taught in CS courses - in the late 80s and early 90s,
there were many apps being written in Pascal. In the 90s, C++ was
taught in the majority of CS courses - in the late 90s and now, most
apps are written in C++. And this [admittedly simplified] trend
extends before that. Why don't you advocate for Python at a local (or
remote) university? Or are you waiting for a "serious" icon so that
educators will take you seriously?

Or maybe I am simply feeding the troll here.
- Jeremy