RELEASED Python 2.4, alpha 1

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Mon Jul 12 01:08:06 EDT 2004

Paul Moore wrote:

>"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
>

>>>I don't think anybody has demonstrated yet that you can actually build
>>>extensions with the Microsoft compiler that is free of charge.
>>>

>>Which means that reports on experiments attempting to do so would be a
>>service to the community ;-)
>>

>Hmm. I have just done some basic experimentation.

>4. Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003

>Also, (4) is not suitable, as it only supports static libraries for
>the CRT, and hence not msvcr71.

Where did you find this out?  The installation includes msvcr71.dll,
though that may very well just be because the tools themselves require
it.  The options the compiler prints on the command-line seem to suggest
that it can link against msvcrt.dll (which I gather would be msvcr71 in
the new version).

>So, it seems that as things stand, distutils can only build extensions
>compatible with the standard python 2.4 distribution, using Visual
>Studio .NET 2003, or with mingw (using my patch).

Sigh.  Yes, at the very least there will need to be some tweaks there.

>I hope this is of some use.

Well, at the very least it is making me plan to spend more time working
on Python 2.4 migration than I'd previously thought.

Thanks,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder