"helper function" style question

Paul Morrow pm_mon at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 19:20:35 EDT 2004

Your 2nd example makes the most sense from an encapsulation point of
view.  If hf is only needed by m1, then it shouldn't be visible outside
of m1.  Otherwise it just pollutes the namespace and makes it harder to
move m1 to a separate module/class later on down the road.  I use this
technique all the time.  I like to create functions, not only when I'm
going to be reusing code, but also simply when it aids the readibility
of my code.  And although I'm not sure whether the 2nd technique is
slower than the first (I can imagine that the byte compiler could be
smart enough not to recompile or rebind hf on each invocation of m1), in
general, I don't worry about the performance of my code until I've got
it working correctly.  And then it's usually algorithmic changes that
offer the big performance gains (not code reorganization).