os.startfile / webbrowser + Firefox

Martin Franklin mfranklin1 at gatwick.westerngeco.slb.com
Wed Jul 7 03:44:26 EDT 2004

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:47:39 +1200, Tony Meyer <t-meyer at ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> [Matthias Huening]
>> os.startfile('http://www.python.org') works fine on WinXP
>> with IE as default webbrowser. With Mozilla Firefox 0.9 as
>> default webbrowser, however, I get an error. Firefox starts,
>> the page gets loaded and then Python gives me an error message
>> (Traceback below).
>
> [Martin Franklin]
>> I hate to say but it worked for me using Opera as my default
>> browser on Windows 2000 but fails with Firefox so I guess
>> it's a Firefox thing...
>
> It works for me (Win XP SP1, Firefox 0.9.1 as default browser).
>
> Perhaps a silly question, but does typing "http://www.python.org" into
> Firefox yourself work?
>
> =Tony Meyer

I tested doing a start www.python.org from cmd.exe (DOS Prompt) and it
poped up a similar error (in a windows dialog box) the page gets displayed
in Firefox as is did when doing it in python (Firefox version 0.9.1 BTW)
again Opera worked great.  I guess somone should tell the Mozilla Firefox
developers...

Martin