Functional test web site using python com and Internet Explorer

MarcSchwarz drmarcschwarz at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 16:32:00 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am using Internet Macros for almost a year now. I highly recommend
it:

>For example, you can't single-step through a macro to debug
> your application when a test fails.  Painful.

I agree. An acceptable workaround is the "Pause" and "Continue"
feature.

IMHO the best approach is to split the testing in many smaller macros
and use the scripting interface to connect them (see below).

>Well, apart from the fact that the scripts it records
> really *are* just scripts, not programs with conditional logic &c, so
> you can't factor out duplicated test logic, and it rather discourages
> writing non-trivial tests, which limits its effectiveness.

While the macros itself are only good for simple testing, the
"Scripting Interface" makes the app extremly powerful. It allows you
to remote control the Internet Macros browser from *any* Windows
programming language. While I use mostly VB and Perl, you could use
Phyton as well (http://www.iopus.com/iim/tutorials/python.htm )

This approach allows me to store the web test results directly in a
database and use any kind of conditional logic, e.g

return = iimPlay ("macro-test1")
if return < 0
'Test1 failed!
 return = iimPlay ("do-something")
else
 return = iimPlay ("macro-test2")
end if

(iimPlay is a command provided by Internet Macros, it starts the IM
browser and runs a macro.)

I used this approach to automate extensive web testing for several
banks and insurance companies. So far, my clients love it ;-)

>  Also, it's
> IE-only and Windows-only: testing against IE/win is necessary but not
> really fully sufficient for a lot of people.

I agree. But I heard they are planning support for Mozilla / Firefox
later this year. In general, I found their support *very* responsive
whenever I had a problem with the software.

Marc