Sorted list as an alternative to dictionary for when you only need keys?

Daniel Eloff danieleloff at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 16:18:58 EDT 2004

I've used a dictionary with None values before when I've needed a
container with fast lookup by value. Just insert all the values as keys.

But this is not optimal at all. Better would be a python list that is
sorted and uses a binary search algo to find values. Now it's not that
much work to write a wrapper class for list that does this, but is there
maybe not such a thing already in Python (surely it's very common, it's
like a C++ STL set or a .NET sorted list, or a.). Or at least a wrapper
already written in Python.

I think this really should be a data structure added to the language, if
it isn't already.

-Dan