Short if

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jul 7 12:26:32 EDT 2004

ellisjb at my-deja.com wrote:

> Reading the voting results I don't see why this was rejected.  The way
> I read it those in favor of some form of ternary operator seem to have
> well over 50% of the vote.

Answered at the top of the PEP, in the introduction:

'''Following the discussion, a vote was held.  While there was an
overall interest in having some form of if-then-else expressions, no one
format was able to draw majority support.  Accordingly, the PEP was
rejected due to the lack of an overwhelming majority for change.
Also, a Python design principle has been to prefer the status quo
whenever there are doubts about which path to take.'''

Clear enough?

-Peter