Looking for minimal SQL

Marco Aschwanden PPNTWIMBXFFC at spammotel.com
Thu Jul 1 03:45:08 EDT 2004

Hi

I would like to develop an app that is (more or less) database independet.
Python DB API helps when masking "parameters" of sql statements. The db
driver cares for the correct conversion of a date, text, etc. This already
is a big step into the right direction.

The next step would be to use the least common denominator of all sql
dialects and do without all the sql goodies that the dialects offer... and
for this part I am wondering if anyone has a link / hint / book that
assembled this minimum sql. I am looking for something that says for
example:

Table/DB Design: always use lowercase letters, ...

Allowed sql functions: min, max, count

WHERE / HAVING hints:
- Don't use subselects

The focus is actually limited to SELECT / INSERT / UPDATE / DELETE (I
don't think that GRANT / CREATE XXX / ... statements are very portable).

I am aware, that a solution created this way is not as fast and as elegant
as an app that uses all features of a dialect, but I am really looking for
something database independent...

Thanks for any hints,
Marco