Recommendations for Docbook XML transformation with Python?

Phil Frost indigo at bitglue.com
Fri Jul 23 19:34:05 EDT 2004

I have success in getting libxslt to work, although it was something
less than a nice experience. Setup wasn't a problem, but the docs we
scant and the interface is less than pythonic.

There are some other XSLT interfaces listed at
<http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/software.html> that might be
better.  I haven't tried any of them.

If you havn't already waded through all the ETLAs to understand how XML
DocBook is usually transformed into other formats, the process is
generally to use an XSLT processor to transform the DocBook into HTML,
or XSL-FO, which is an XML language that is the complement to DocBook,
describing only formatting. From there, I have read there are tools that
can generate RTF, PDF, etc, but I've never used any of them; I've only
generated HTML. The usual XSLT distribution is at
<http://docbook.sourceforge.net/projects/xsl/>.

Good luck!