Importing modules takes long time

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 03:48:44 EDT 2004

[ptouchsystems at yahoo.com]
| I am using Python 2.3.4 with Windows 2000. It is a Pentium Xeon
| 2GHz with 1GB of RAM.
|
| As the title says, importing most modules takes about 2 to 3 seconds.
| Also, starting the interpreter takes 2-3 seconds (I think at
| the time it
| tries to import site)

I honestly doubt if this is what you're seeing, but I have
had some (as yet unresolved) difficulties when importing
modules which rely on externall DLLs across a WAN link. The
link itself was otherwise perfectly acceptable, but
something in the mechanism used to import (whether in Windows
or in Python) slowed down the import to three minutes.

As I say, a bit of a specific situation, but just in case
it helps...

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk