open() is alive and well (Re: open is not obsolete)

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Thu Jul 8 19:26:41 EDT 2004

Jeff Shannon wrote:

> Okay, I was following the implication in the documentation, and IIRC
> some conversation I'd seen (presumably based off of that same
> implication).  This thread is the first indication I've seen since
> Python 2.2 came out that file() *wasn't* the preferred way to open
> files... (Not that I've even been following *this* newsgroup steadily
> in that time.)  I'll keep this in mind from now on.

I think this is the case for all of us - this just came out of the blue
when Guido noticed a change in the core library that changed and
`open()` to a `file()` ...

It seems like *everyone* had the same impression that `open()` was
informally deprecated, primarily pushed by the comment in the reference
that `file()` was now preferred.

Tim Delaney