Nested loop limit?

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Sun Jul 11 14:20:30 EDT 2004

bokr at oz.net (Bengt Richter) writes:

> How many total executions of the innermost loop are you expecting?

In our longest runs, I think we had this many:  77 922 135 056 261.
This was distributed over a large cluster of machines, as you guessed,
and each job was coded with nested for loops.  :-)

> Perhaps a clue to your real problem might yield some ideas for alternatives
> to massive nested looping

We can get the answers with statistical methods in minutes, but we
needed to know that the statistical methods were accurate in this case
before extrapolating to other cases.

Dan