int() 24 times slower then long() in Python 2.3

James Henderson james at logicalprogression.net
Thu Jul 15 06:12:57 EDT 2004

On Thursday 15 July 2004 9:58 am, Willem wrote:
> That was indeed the reason of my original posting: As a casual
> programmer I was disturbed that upgrading to Python 2.3 actually
> slowed down my program significantly

As I said before, I don't think the particular code you posted would have
worked at all before 2.3.

> and that I had to spend so much
> time to find the reason: somebody has decided to hide these particular
> overflow warnings ...
> Why warning and then suppressing it by default?

The warnings are there because some people may want to know about when the
type conversion is happening, since it's a new feature.

They're suppressed by default because most people won't want to know. :)

J.
--
James Henderson, Logical Progression Ltd
http://www.logicalprogression.net