Looking for minimal SQL

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Jul 1 13:01:09 EDT 2004

David Fraser  <davidf at sjsoft.com> wrote:
>What we have found the best approach is to start development with two
>databases in mind. In that case, you have to build in a basic layer of
>database-independence. Then later, adding other databases tends to be an
>easy refactor.

Seconded. I'm currently working on sticking a Firebird backend
onto an application which already supports Oracle and MySQL.
Thanks to the DB API, there's a lot of code which can be shared
in a base class, and for the most part the SQL-dialect-specific
tweaks are easy to stick in methods which override the common
code in a derived class. The biggest difference is in the SQL
needed for creating the tables in the DB in the first place.
I'd hate to be doing this in any language other than Python,
of course....

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"