Newbie question - Advanced math functions available under Windows?

The Toad the.toad at trashcanistan.ca
Fri Jul 2 18:31:58 EDT 2004

I'm completely new to Python and just installed it on my Win 2000
machine.  I was planning to use it for quick-and-dirty numerical
programming.  The sort of thing people did in QuickBasic before DOS
was replaced by Windows.

When I try to use numerical functions like sqrt() or sin(), I get
error messages like

>>> x = sqrt(10)
Traceback (most recent call last):
    x = sqrt(10)
NameError: name 'sqrt' is not defined

The math module documentation says that these math functions are "thin
wrapers" around the platform C library funtions.  This seems to assume
a Unix/Linux system platform.

Does this mean that math functions like sqrt(), etc. are not available
in Python when running on Windows based systems?   Thanks in advance.

DB