python desktop

seguso look at in.signature
Wed Jul 7 11:59:32 EDT 2004

Hi David :-)

Maybe we should continue the discussion on the mailing list...

David Fraser wrote:

> seguso wrote:
>> David Fraser wrote:
>>

>>>great to see this, was looking at the old version before...
>>

>> :-)
>>

>>>could you perhaps split the logicaldesktop.py into separate modules? it
>>>makes it a bit difficult to find code to do improvements when its 3200
>>>lines long...
>>

>> Why? I mean, actually it is easier in a single file if you use emacs,
>> because you use IM-Python to browse the classes. And if you use eric3,
>> you don't care about how many files, since you use the class browser to
>> move.
>>
>> Maybe I don't realize some advantage of splitting the code...
>>
>> Anyway, I will need to partition the code in some way, because I want to
>> make two versions eventually: a gnome-panel applet and a kicker applet.
>
> One of the main reasons it that it makes easier for people to contribute
> changes... Also a lot of what is in the code is really configuration,
> not code, for example the list of programs, verbs etc.
> And as you said, making different programs that use the code would be
> easier. For example, I use XFCE not KDE or Gnome.
> Also there could be a bit more clarity on what is logical code
> (filtering the lists) and what is user interface code. That way somebody
> could quickly write a non-Qt version.

Yes, this is important.

> Not complaining here - I think its great, just trying to give helpful
> suggestions. An open source project is more than the code, and if you
> can make it easier for others to participate it will move forward more
> quickly.
>
>>>Anyway what I was going to try and do:
>>>- make filters work as you type, not just when you press Enter ala
>>>Thunderbird's mail filters
>>

>> This was my first thought, but then I thought 1) it would be too slow 2)
>> you type only once anyway. The preferred method is to use the recent
>> filters list.
>>

> If you have some clever method to do lazy filtering a short time after
> someone stops typing it will work nicely.

That's an idea! A timer. Yes, of course. :-) Thanks!

> This is how the thunderbird
> search boxes work. And I can't use the recent filters list for something
> I haven't typed yet :-) The advantage of my proposal is the quick
> feedback while you are typing...

>>>- Try and work out why it thinks my HP CD writer is a Plextor CDROM -
>>>where do you pick up this information?
>>

>> I am a bit ashamed, but here it is:
>>
>> THE DEVICES ARE COMPLETELY INVENTED. I need to scan the devices in the
>> computer, but I am clueless how to do that.
>>

> OK, well it got most of them right :-)

:-D

> If we put the detection code in a
> separate module

The problem is, we don't have detection code :-)

> maybe it can use some of the freedesktop.org stuff to
> handle devices

You mean HAL? I hope it can be accessed in python...

>>>Anyway I love some of the concepts and its looking nice...
>>

>> Are you implying that there is some concept you don't like?
>>

> Well I have thought for a long time that something similar to this needs
> to happen and am very pleased to find someone doing it in Python :-) :-)
> :-) What I am not sure about is the categorisation into verb, file,
> program, device ... for example device may not be relevant for a lot of
> actions.

Of course. Just close the device panel. Is there something obvious I am
missing? :-)

> If this could be more dynamic it would be really nice.

Maybe you want to close the dev panel automatically? That's reasonable... it
could be done.

> Also a way
> for users to define programs, devices etc...

That'a a difficult territory... in a sense, you can already doing it by
modifying the python code :-) So what exactly is the problem we want to
eliminate?

>> Thanks a lot for the feedback!
>>

> Sure! One more thing - initially it comes up on my machine only
> displaying verbs. A means to switch which categories are available would
> be cool

Categories? What do you mean?

--
Best Regards,