How to lunch webpage without using SMTP server?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Wed Jul 21 14:05:23 EDT 2004

			.
>So what you want is to be able to send email from a python script
>running on your Windows computer, but you don't have access to an SMTP
>server.
>So you need to run your own SMTP server on your Windows computer.  If
			.
			.
			.
No, you don't.  If anything, as Grant Edwards points out elsewhere
in this thread you need SMTP *client* code--which is easy enough in
Python.

I do this--emitting e-mail from my applications by direct connection
to the e-mail server of addressee--often.  It's modestly hazardous,
in that one either makes the cheerful assumption that the server
will be accessible, OR one starts to build the re-try queues that
head one down the slippery slope to re-creation of sendmail.

There are still other possibilities, by the way; one can, for example,
ahve the Python application connect by way of SMTP to a server one
controls that happens not to be on the host of the Python application.

I summarize:  yes, it's almost certainly possible, in some sense; you'll
want to specify your situation more precisely before starting to write
code.