Porting Java web application to Python to make it faster?

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Fri Jul 9 14:58:16 EDT 2004

Christopher Baus <christopher at baus.net>
wrote on Thu, 8 Jul 2004 00:10:18 -0700 (PDT):
>> Omit discussion on enterprise application in java or python.
> Ok, I'll bite.
> There was thread on a another list that I read like this recently. The
> difference in performance between Java and python on the web server
> probably doesn't really matter that much.  If anything I might guess that
> Java would be faster.  Tons of huge applications are run by Java servers
> everyday.  A gig of RAM on the server is nothing.  It might cost a couple
> hundred dollars. Big deal.  Certainly much less that re-writing the app in
> python.
> The performance problems will result from aggregating content from the
> sources you mention.  My guess is you'll be waiting around for the ERP to
> respond longer than it take will render the pages in either java or
> python.
> In my opinion it would be a waste of money to redo this in python.  If the
> developers are skilled in java, then go with java.  If they prefer python
> then use it instead.
> The only thing you will prove is that the app can be done in python or
> java.  If anything Java is the proven leader in this field.

  I agree.  For a living, I write Python when I can, Java most of the
time, and PHP when necessary.  For fun, I write games in Java and
Python, or work on my web site in PHP.  Performance matters quite a bit
to what I do.

  Java's startup time is awful, but its performance once it's started is
really very good.  Python starts up faster, but it's not that fast a
language.  Java uses an insane amount of memory by old-time standards,
but an equally-powerful Python program will use as much or more.

  Python's certainly more pleasant to work with, but Java
Servlets/JSP/Taglibs are the best balance of power and ease of use in
web frameworks, and JDBC handles database interaction better than
anything I've ever seen: it doesn't gloss over what the database really
does, but presents the highest-level tools possible.

  If the actual developers know Java and think it's the right tool for
the job, they're almost certainly right.

"The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering
 them.  Was reborn, then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank
 world.  Was Rorschach." --Alan Moore, _Watchmen #6_, "The Abyss Gazes Also"