wxPython syntax

John Taylor john_taylor_1973 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 19:15:02 EDT 2004

David Fraser <davidf at sjsoft.com> wrote in message news:<cbuaoi$mki$1 at ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>...
> John Taylor wrote:
> > David Fraser <davidf at sjsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>One of the main things that would need to be addressed is how sizers and
> >>layout could be defined using this approach
> >>
> >>David
> >

> > The easiest (and therefore best, imho) way that I have ever seen to
> > manage widget layout is in Java's RelativeLayout. See
> > http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/09/18/relativelayout.html
> > Within this, layout is controlled by a xml file.
>
> Thanks for the link, interesting article.
>
> > Does anyone know if any of the python gui toolkits have something
> > similar to this?
> > Not the xml file, but the methodology itself.
>
> Not sure. I'm sure you could create a similar methodology layout class
> for wxPython though...
>
> David

I forgot to mention that I got this up & running in Jython without too
much trouble.  Jython can't use CPython's external libraries (on at
least Windows platforms).  So if I wanted to use ldap and/or mysql, I
would have to code those sections in Java.  By this point, it kind of
defeated the whole point as it would have been better to have coded
the whole thing in Java instead.

I could have used a client/server model and ran the GUI in Java which
would communicate to a python based server.  I never did get around to
trying this approach, however.

-John