Getting information from OS

Christopher T King squirrel at WPI.EDU
Thu Jul 22 10:02:38 EDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 Skulled2003 at netscape.net wrote:

>    What i need to accomplish is a list of languages that are installed
> or can be viewed on the system. I am not sure if i am making it clear,
> but the list should contain information on the languages that a system
> can recognize and use in applications etc.

Is this on Unix or Windows?  On Unix, something like the following would
work:

-----

import os
from os.path import join
from glob import glob

binpath = os.environ['PATH'].split(':')

def installed(bins):
    for bin in bins:
        for path in binpath:
            if glob(join(path,bin)):
                return True

progs = {
  'Python':['python','python2.?'],
  'Perl':['perl','perl5.?.?'],
  'Java':['java','javac','gcj'],
  'C':['cc','gcc','bcc','icc']
}

installed_progs = [prog for prog,bins in progs.items() if installed(bins)]

for prog in installed_progs:
    print prog,'is installed!'

-----

On Windows, something similar could be employed, but more places will have
to be checked (or perhaps directories instead of binaries).