sets.Set doesn't honour __eq__

Matteo Dell'Amico della at toglimi.linux.it
Wed Jul 7 12:22:48 EDT 2004

David Vaughan wrote:

> The _base is to allow for unicode.  I had removed
> some lines for clarity.  I'm including
> support for Windows filenames (hence the case-
> insensitive strings).  So I've recycled the start of
> Jason Orendorff's excellent path module:
>

> # Pre-2.3 support.  Are unicode filenames supported?
> _base = str
> try:
>     if os.path.supports_unicode_filenames:
>         _base = unicode
> except AttributeError:
>     pass

Wow, Unicode filename support. Right this morning I had problems trying
to convert latin-9 filenames to utf-8, and I couldn't do it with a quick
python script because (now ) os.path.supports_unicode_filenames is False
(in 2.3) even if right now I have unicode filenames and they seem to
work OK. :-)

Is this a bug, or is it me not understanding something?

> Or is it conventional to assume v2.3 these days?

I think that if you have no compelling reasons to support 2.2, maybe you
can spare yourself the effort :-)

--
Ciao,
Matteo