Accessing Oracle from Python

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jul 16 11:56:56 EDT 2004

Larry Bates wrote:
> You don't want to use ODBC as that is a Windows interface
> that doesn't natively exist on Linux.  You can purchase
> Linux ODBC interfaces from companies like EasySoft, but
> if your program is running on Linux you will be much better
> off with a native interface.  ODBC overhead is quite large
> and should be avoided whenever possible.

I don't quite agree with this statement: it's an old myth
that was based on poor ODBC drivers. If you connect to a
database over a network, the network latency is what matters,
not the additional layering you do on the client or server.

ODBC gives you much more flexibility in terms of setting up
your database client - server and backend structure.

Tools like mxODBC let you tap into this flexibility from
Windows, Linux, Solaris, AIX, etc. with the additional
benefit of having to only write against one API for all
databases and on all platforms.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 16 2004)