Importance of C#

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jul 30 10:38:58 EDT 2004

Duncan Booth wrote:
> Whilst what you say is true in general, C# containing generics is available
> today (although still in beta). See http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/

Yes, patches implementing that have been floating around (for Rotor) for
many several now, and they are available for mono as well. Yet, I still
have to see an actual release of .NET 2.0, to provide the feature. It
appears that this might ship along with Visual Studio Whidbey (2005 or
later) or Windows Longhorn (2007 or later).

These days, Microsoft follows the principle "publish early, publish
often", giving the impression that a release is imminent. I haven't
read the license, but I doubt it would allow me to ship applications
for .NET 2.0, let alone shipping the .NET 2.0 redistributables.

Regards,
Martin