eval() of empty string hangs

Chris Connett chrisccc_3k at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 11:04:53 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> As an alternative, and not requiring that you special case
> anything, does it work if you simply append '\n' to the
> string to be eval'ed in all cases?

I did try a number of ways of massaging the input string, though far
from exhaustive; I tried adding the single newline - it didn't help.

I did however localize the problem more tightly.  It does not seem to be
eval that's hanging, but raise-ing is not working.  When I tried my
original plan of special casing '', I added a check for equality, then
manually raised a SyntaxError.  This exhibited the same behavior.  I
then tried unconditionally raising SyntaxError, same result.  Is it
possible that the exception is propagating up the wrong stack?  This is
a separate thread, could it be on the main thread somehow?  The creating
thread has ended by the time this exception is due to be raised.  There
are numerous try-excepts to catch this, all should log at least some
message, but the log shows nothing.