Wondering about learning Python

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Jul 22 12:00:38 EDT 2004

On 2004-07-22, Chris <nospam@[> wrote:

> I've written a small QBASIC program which draws a spiral. Here is the
> code:
>
> SCREEN 12
> CLS
> FOR t = 1 TO 400 STEP .01
> x = .5 * t * COS(t)
> y = .5 * t * SIN(t)
> PSET (x + 320, y + 240)
> NEXT t
>
> I noticed that it generated some interesting patterns, probably as a
> result of rounding errors.

I suspect the patterns to which you refer are the moire
patterns generated when you superimpose the pattern you are
drawing and the two "grids" imposed by the rasterizaion done by
your frame buffer and the grid formed by the phosphor dots and
shadow mask of your CRT.

http://www.mathematik.com/Moire/
http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/moire_patterns.html
http://eluzions.com/Illusions/Moire/

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Vote for ME
                                  at               -- I'm well-tapered,