Problems with pygtk/gtk.glade

Dave Walker daveweb at portico-services.net
Thu Jul 22 12:39:19 EDT 2004

I've just setup a new box with Slackware 10, and am running into
problems with simple programs that worked just fine on my old slak box
(and still do). The only difference I can see between the two boxes is
that the new one is running python 2.3.4, and the old is 2.3.3.

The code is a barely modified version of one of the tutorials, and the
errors I get are:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./oldmp3.py", line 78, in ?
     app=appgui()
   File "./oldmp3.py", line 15, in __init__
     self.wTree=gtk.glade.XML (gladefile,windowname)
TypeError: typedict must be a mapping

And, as a matter of fact, when I try and run MathFlash from the tutorial
in the latest Linux Journal, I get similar errors:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 165, in ?
     main(sys.argv)
   File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 158, in main
     w = MathFlash()
   File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 34, in __init__
     self.init()
   File "./MathFlash-final.py", line 75, in init
     GladeWindow.__init__(self, filename, top_window, widget_list, handlers)
   File "/root/bin/GladeWindow.py", line 77, in __init__
     self.xml = gtk.glade.XML(fname)
TypeError: typedict must be a mapping

Has something changed in the latest version of python, or is there
something else in my setup that I've missed that is causing these errors?

I've searched google/google groups in vain...

Thanks,